Sunday, May 05, 2013

Espresso Hazelnut Cake

I've been trying to make an effort and drink less coffee this week... Well, let me tell you what happens when I cut back on coffee: It leads me to baking a cake that is soaked with coffee. Espresso and roasted hazelnuts are the perfect flavor combination. Chocolate, of course, goes really well with those two. And the sweet sugary coffee glaze that is poured over the cake just after it comes out of the oven intensifies the coffee flavor and gives this cake wonderfully moist consistency.




Recipe
(slightly adapted from Betty Bossis Kuchen Cakes & Torten)

200g sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 large pinch of cinnamon
200g ground hazelnuts (I roasted whole hazelnuts and then ground them in my food processor)
150g dark chocolate, chopped
300g flour
1 sachet of baking powder
200g butter, melted and cooled
4 eggs, beaten
2.5dl strong coffee, cool

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 30cm cake tin with parchment paper and grease with butter.

In a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, cinnamon and ground hazelnuts. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix. In another, smaller bowl, mix butter, eggs and coffee. Then, add this to the other mixture and mix well with an electric hand mixer until well combined. Then, pour into your prepared cake tin and bake for about 50-60 minutes. Until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

For the glaze, mix 50ml cool coffee with 125g icing sugar and pour over the cake while it is still hot. Of course, a chocolate frosting would also be a good option here.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, great! It was such a huge cake that I thought I would have to take back home half of it. But nope, in the evening there were only crumbles left :-) My colleagues loved it and me too!

    Gruess
    Matthias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthias! What "take half of it home" ?!?! ;-) The cake was very popular in my office, too. Betty Bossi still rocks :-) Keep baking! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails