Thursday, February 09, 2012

Carrot Peanut Butter Soup

Need something to get you through the cold winter days? I've got just the right thing for you! The warming flavour of carrots with a hint of spicy cayenne pepper combined with peanut butter... I haven't ever thought about using peanut butter for soups, but I was totally intrigued when Andrea told me about this recipe. Let me just say that I liked it very much! A soup with substance :-)




Recipe
(adapted from an unknown source)

600g carrots, peeled and chopped into about 1.5cm pieces
1 onion, chopped
7dl vegetable stock
olive oil
3-5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I used 4)
about 0.5dl cream (25% fat), the original recipe calls for coconut milk
a piece of ginger (2cm), I had none at home so I used powdered ginger
1 chilli, chopped, had none at home so I used cayenne pepper
salt
I added: runny honey

Pour olive oil into a mid-size saucepan. Put the heat on and put in the chopped onion first, sauté for a minute or so, add the carrot pieces and sauté for about 4 minutes. (If you got ginger and chilli, add at this point). Pour in the vegetable stock and let cook for about 20 minutes until carrots are soft. Add peanut butter and purée with an immersion blender. The soup will get pretty thick. I used about 0.5dl cream and some water to get the consistency I wished for, that's up to you. Add some honey (I used runny acacia honey) and spices. This is also something which depends on personal taste, try and see how much ginger, chilli and salt you like. I think the soup gets better after a day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails