Monday, May 16, 2011

Lemon and Poppyseed Madeleines

This weekend, out of the blue, I got a present. Just like that. It is something I have been looking for again and again over a very long time, yet I have never been able to find one. Even greater was my joy when I got it as a surprise: a madeleine pan! I'm still over the moon!

I have, of course, already put it to good use. Initially, I wanted to bake muffins this Sunday, but I'd forgotten all about them... Here is my very first batch of madeleines. Look how cute they are!!!




Recipe:
(adapted from: Donna Hay - Modern Classics: Sweet)

4 eggs
170g sugar
170g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
180g butter, melted and cooled
grated zest of half a lemon
2 teaspoons poppyseeds

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Beat the eggs and the sugar in a bowl with the hand mixer for abou 8 - 10 minutes until it is very fluffy. Add lemon zest and poppyseeds. Sift in flour and baking powder and beat with the mixer on low speed. Fold in butter.

Grease a madeleine pan with butter. Mine has moulds with the capacity of about one heaped teaspoon of dough. I baked each batch for about 10 minutes until they were risen and golden brown. I got 40 small madeleines.


1 comment:

  1. They look perfect! Lemon is my ultimate flavor for madeleines. Love the idea of adding poppy seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails